A persuasive essay is a type of writing that attempts to convince the reader that the opinions being presented are right. They are very similar to argumentative essays except for the fact a writer presents a one-sided opinion giving valid reasons and solid facts on why that opinion or argument is correct. With an argumentative essay, the writer creates a discussion on the topic by presenting points on both opposing and proposing sides as is the case with verbal debates. The writer employs logic to reason with and sway the reader into adopting a certain view. Such essay assignments are commonly given to students in high school and junior college. They help students to master persuasive skills which can be useful for students in all disciplines including sciences and social studies; as well as in business and their social life.
Tips for finding persuasive essay topics
Sometimes, essay topics are not given by the professor thus writing persuasive essays begins with selecting a topic. In such a case, a student is required to select an appropriate topic to write about. To help you do that, here are a few tips.
- Think of subjects that interest you. Feel free to select a topic that you will enjoy writing about and not just one that you think will please your professor. Obviously, you should not purposely pick a topic that will bore your audience. Nonetheless, focusing excessively on what you think your teachers would like to read is a mistake. Most professors want to see you write in your own style and argue your own ideas, supported by facts.
- Select a topic you are passionate about; not one on which you are conflicted. You will likely be unable to present your views and convince your audience if you are conflicted about the side on which you stand. For example, it may not be wise to argue that every state should abolish the death penalty yet on the hand, you think that child molesters deserve the death sentence. The audience of your persuasive essay or speech must not detect any sign of internal conflict in your argument. Being passionate about the topic will also make the research and writing tasks enjoyable, and your emotion will also be reflected in your writing. This will help you persuade and change the reader’s mind.
- Don’t over-obsess on political correctness. You should avoid playing it too safe and shying away from a controversial issue. A point to note, however, is that for a school setting, you may want to strike a balance between boldly expressing your views and not offending your audience with overly inappropriate topics.
- Think about your personal experiences or those of people you know. Real life events can be a source of inspiration to help you formulate an interesting topic.
- Think about what you know. Start with general subjects that you are familiar with then narrow down to a specific topic. It will be easier for you to write a good persuasive essay if it is a subject in which you have knowledge. This is especially important if you have limited time to write your essay as you will be able to do the legwork faster.
- Read. Topics abound in books, newspapers, journals and the web if only you conduct research. The importance of research in persuasive writing cannot be overstated. Research is important for formulating your title and finding evidence to back up your ideas. A research paper published in a peer-reviewed journal could present the credible evidence you need. This involves reading widely and sometimes talking to experts in your subject of interest. Sample persuasive essays can also provide inspiration on topics to write on as well as serve as examples on how to write your essay. A point to remember as you conduct research is that your institution likely has a strict policy against plagiarism, therefore avoid presenting someone else’s work as your own.
- Brainstorming helps in coming up with an idea or refining the one you already have. Discuss your ideas with friends or other people around you, but this is not a license to copy someone else’s work. The purpose of brainstorming is to help you get ideas. Weave in your own perspective to make your essay unique.
- Persuasive essay topics are often inspired by contemporary issues in society so pay attention to current trends and events happening around you. It helps to come up with a list of several persuasive essay topic ideas and then carefully evaluate them further to pick the best one.
Selecting a good topic for your essay is one of the most important and often tricky parts for many students. Here are a few characteristics against which you should evaluate your topic before you start writing the essay.
Prices Starting At:
Qualities of a good persuasive essay topic
The topic should be specific. The essay topic should be broad enough for you to comfortably meet the required length of the essay, but not too narrow that you are unable to write more than a few short sentences on it.
- A great topic should have some complexity and depth.
- A good topic for a persuasive essay is one that is debatable. Pick a topic that society is talking or arguing about.
- The topic must not be overdone. Most times a topic that has been tackled over and over is not the best choice because it is likely that society has already reached a consensus on the matter and it is no longer being debated.
- Is there adequate literature to support your opinions/ideas? There should be enough literature to provide facts to back your ideas in order for you to write a good persuasive essay. You don’t want to start the writing process, then have to find a new topic because you realize, midway, that there’s no credible literature to back your ideas.
We have compiled a few ideas appropriate topics for your persuasive essay assignment.
Some Persuasive Essay Topic Ideas for High School
- Should students perpetrating cyber bullying be expelled?
Cyberbullying can undoubtedly have grave consequences for the victims. There has been agitation in some quarters to have cyber bullies in schools face the consequences such as expulsion.
- Is college education the key to a successful life?
There are varying views on whether a college education is required in order to have a successful life.
- Should the death penalty be abolished?
The death penalty has been abolished in some states, many more still practice it, and others have the death penalty allowing gubernatorial moratoria. Some say the death sentence is a fitting deterrent to serious crimes but is it a cruel, dehumanizing practice that should be abolished?
- Should civilians be allowed to carry guns?
Do civilians with guns to help stop crime such as mass shootings or does the freedom of civilians to carry guns pose more danger?
- Should the minimum voting age be lowered?
21, 18, 17, or 16; just how old is old enough to vote? Are teenagers’ old enough for the responsibility of voting or should voting be reserved for young adults and older citizens?
- National security prevails over individual right to privacy
Should violations of individual privacy rights be allowed for the sake of national security?
- Parental consent should not be required for teenage girls to access contraceptives.
Teenagers have free access to contraceptives, but lawmakers have come up with proposals that will require teenage girls to engage their parents before they can get access. Should the right of teenagers to freely access contraceptives be upheld?
- Smartphones are killing communication
Smartphones have changed the way conversations are carried out, but are they killing the art of communication? Are we missing out on crucial benefits of voice calls and face-to-face conversations?
- Should Medical Marijuana be legalized?
Marijuana helps relieve symptoms of various illnesses. There have been debates on whether Marijuana prescribed by a doctor should be legal. Do you think it should be legalized?
- Is commercial testing on animals, right?
Safety tests for products such as drugs and cosmetics are often tested on animals to ascertain their safety. Animal rights activists and other parties don’t agree with this practice.
- Should mercy killing be allowed?
Euthanasia, the killing of patients with painful, incurable diseases, irreversible coma, is done in order to relieve suffering. The practice is allowed in some states, but it is frowned upon and illegal in many more states. Is an ethical practice that should be legalized or not?
- Should mandatory sexuality and parenting classes be taught in school?
Parents have the responsibility of teaching their children about sexuality, contraceptive use, and parenting. However, do parents sufficiently teach their kids on these subjects?
College Level Persuasive Essay Topics
- Should guns be allowed on campuses?
Research shows that guns on campuses only pose a greater danger of violence and do very little to stop shooting rampages. Do you think guns should be allowed on college campuses or not?
- Should public breastfeeding be allowed?
Mums are given a hard time now and then for breastfeeding their babies in public. However, others are of the opinion that breastfeeding, just like bottle feeding a baby in public should not be controversial.
- Should the travel ban on Muslim-majority countries be implemented?
There have been mixed reactions on whether the executive order to ban visas issuance to travelers from six Muslim-majority countries be implemented.
- Should recycling be required by law?
Recycling helps preserve the environment, but not everyone practices it. Some think that by making it a legal requirement, more people will begin to practice recycling. What’s your position on this?
- Should workplaces have a more relaxed dress code?
Some employers feel that relaxed dress codes negatively impact productivity and should not be allowed in the workplace. Others think that it improves creativity and productivity in the workplace.
- Should the jury system be replaced by bench trials?
There have been arguments that juries are not made up of people with the necessary legal expertise and should, therefore, be abolished and replaced with bench trials where judges are solely responsible for making judgments. These are just a few tips to help you in persuasive essay writing. You can write persuasive essays on a variety of subject including health, food, technology, history, law, religion and governance. Just follow the guidelines stated above, and you’ll be well on your way to writing a good persuasive essay.
The Importance of Research in Persuasive Essay Writing
Whichever topic you choose, always remember the importance of literature sources. These sources serve to enrich knowledge, meet the academic community’s expectations, and identify and support arguments. The questions of whether a topic has been overdone or has enough literature to back it up must always be asked. The answers to these questions can only be found by immersing yourself in literature to filter out the overdone topics and find facts, examples, statistics and quotes to provide supporting evidence for your essay. It requires and demonstrates an ability to research, understand and integrate information from multiple sources. Common reliable sources of literature include journals, scientific magazines, textbooks and reports that can be examined for relevance to the topic at hand. There are multiple online resources and databases to find a book or a journal article that you can use in your search for relevant information sources on which your essay will be based. Possessing good research skills and selecting a good topic is crucial. However, good writing should accompany a good persuasive essay topic and extensive research thus a student must learn the skills of effective writing. Learning good writing skills will help you write better essays that will keep your readers interested and persuaded. This can be difficult for some students, especially for those whom English is their second language; but it is not an impossible task.
Writing Persuasive Essays
Once you settle on the topic and choose the position on which you will base your essay, the rest of the work can then begin. You still need to create an outstanding piece of writing. You will need to research about your topic further to provide evidence to your ideas and then structure your writing according to the persuasive essay structure. As any guide on how to write a persuasive essay will tell you, your essay must be organized in paragraphs with a logical progression from one paragraph to the next. There should be an introductory paragraph that includes a strong, authoritative thesis statement, a body section with at least three paragraphs, and a conclusion paragraph with a call to action. Begin the introduction paragraph with an attention-grabbing fact, question or contradiction. Each of the body paragraphs should state a single main point and present evidence support for the point, view or argument you are making. Examples may also be included in each of the body paragraphs to further support and clarify your main points. A good persuasive essay must always have a concluding paragraph where you restate your position and include a summary of the essay text. If your introduction included non-rhetorical questions, you should include answers in this section as well. Focus the conclusion on giving your reader a strong message that will linger in his/her mind. Finally, remember that a big part of being effective in persuasion is the ability to appeal to your audience’s emotions. Be creative and take full advantage of persuasion techniques and as with any type of writing, keep your work clear, concise and error-free.
Order an affordable persuasive essay today Order Now
Order an affordable persuasive essay today Order Now
Need help with your persuasive essay? Yes
Need help with your persuasive essay? Yes
Have you ever noticed you do not get tired re-reading books of the great American authors? Every time the reader finds something new and curious in the interesting persuasive essay topics proposed by the writer, he/she goes on exploring it from cover to cover. A persuasive essay can be more powerful than a narrative one written by the favorite author. It covers some good persuasive speech topics that make people want to discuss, debate and take the writer’s side in the end. Wish to learn how to write a debatable essay of the winner?
ORDER A PERSUASIVE ESSAY
Do you feel like an argumentative writing is not your calling, lack of necessary skills, or absence of interest in the subject of the assigned homework? No problem! Contact professional academic writing gurus to assist in the persuasive speech writing in the shortest period of time! Want to get an immediate help? It is time to provide the students with several great writing tips before moving to the list of interesting persuasive essay topics.
Interesting Persuasive Essay Topics and Other Keys to Successful Writing
Choosing good persuasive speech topics is not enough. It is important to make the target audience listen to the speaker with the opened mouth. However, selecting some interesting persuasive essay topics is the first step to the informative, attractive public performance. It is the chance for each student to improve the overall performance and final course grade, which influences GPA.
Have I persuaded you in the importance of persuasive writing? If yes, it means you have agreed on the particular point you did not consider significant before.
To create a powerful, meaningful argumentative paper, the student must follow the necessary pre-writing steps:
- Choosing author’s position. Decide on the purpose of your essay. Which side of the problem looks more correct to you, and what solution would you offer?
- Target the audience: think about whether your reader will agree with you from the opening line, remain neutral, or stick to the opposite position. If the writer is sure the reader will support the same position, the chosen interesting persuasive essay topics are weak. The issue should motivate to debate.
- Research a couple of good persuasive speech topics of your choice to find out which subject would be a better decision based on the amount of available information. Are you an expert in the particular field? It is necessary to go beyond your knowledge, skills, and experience by attending library or going online in search of valuable information on the selected interesting persuasive essay topics. Avoid sensitive subjects (politics, religion, gender, etc.)
- Structure! Organization & time management are the keys to success in any activity, and writing essays on good persuasive speech topics is not an exception. Decide on what type of evidence should be included. Think about the order of paragraphs along with the corresponding main points based on the interests of the target audience,
4 Ways to Support Arguments in Debatable Writing
There are some elements to help the writer support his arguments.
Facts – The most powerful means of convincing obtained from different readings, observations, investigations, and life experience.
Statistics – Another excellent support. The writer should check that the collected statistics are taken from the credible, up-to-date sources; citing them properly is important (read more about Bibliography).
Quotes/Quotations – Direct & indirect in-text citations from the area’s leading experts support the writer’s position invaluably.
Examples – Insert examples from real life or personal experience to make your ideas more specific. It is a powerful proof.
It is time to move to 90 good persuasive speech topics/ interesting persuasive essay topics shared by experts and other students!
90 Good Persuasive Speech Topics from Different Fields!
The goal of a persuasive essay is to argue or put across the writer’s point to the target readers. Focus on the knowledge & skills versus imagination & creativity to write an A+ persuasive speech/essay. The basic principles of writ8ing a persuasive essay are logic plus clarity.
GET YOUR PERSUASIVE ESSAY
Technology & Science Persuasive Essay Topics
- Chips are dangerous weapon – they can control human mind
- FaceBook, Twitter, and other social networks are danger to our privacy
- What is the cost of modern technology & innovations?
- Digital explosion age is coming
- Cloning should be forbidden
- The progress of artificial intelligence is the act against God
- Advantages & disadvantages of laptops
- Artificial intelligence cannot improve the life of real human
- Can a clone replace a live being?
- Marrying robots: myth or reality?
Persuasive Essay Topics on Education & Career
- The value of corporal punishment in high schools
- Traditional education vs. remote education
- E-learning should replace the traditional approach to education
- The commercial side of education
- Is academic grading fair in the US colleges?
- Students must be given a right to choose disciplines they consider important
- The impact of university degree on further career choice & progress
- Which foreign languages must be offered to the American students?
- It is not necessary to obtain a specific degree to become a professional in the particular fields
- Is there such thing as the best occupation?
Good Persuasive Essay Topics for High School: Law & Justice
- Drug testing in a workplace: pros & cons
- American population should be given a right to start voting at a younger age
- The best age for driving a car
- Military service must be compulsory
- The army should be paid higher
- They should not turn a court proceeding into the show
- Adoption of kids by gay couples
- Same-sex marriages must not be in law
- How to eliminate the judicial mistakes
- Lawyers are paid too much
Political Regimes & Government Writing Ideas
- Government must consider physically disabled
- Presidents should not receive the highest salaries in the country
- Could Hilary Clinton change the United States for better?
- Communism: some of the advantages
- Three ways how politicians can improve their performance
- The way “Family Guy” displays political figures
- Why the American presidents have no right to star in the movies?
- Was Arnold Schwarzenegger a successful politician?
- The best political regime in the world
- Political principles modern world grabbed from the Ancient Greece & Ancient Egypt
Persuasive Essay Topics for Elementary Students: Science & Space
- Facts that prove Earth is not the single inhabited planet
- The first man in space: myth and truth
- Darwinism: can we apply the theory to the modern knowledge?
- Is it possible to live on the Moon or Mars?
- What is the real size of the universe?
- Alternative sources of energy and their role in human life
- Space observation is a waste of national budget
- The story about continents split
- Is genetic research helping the evolution?
- A global warming is a serious threat to humanity
Healthcare & Sports Persuasive Essay Topics
- The causes of cancer
- The threats of Anorexia Nervosa: Why is it better to lose weight with the help of sports instead of the forced hunger strike?
- The reasons for obesity: is it the lack of physical activity?
- Countries with the lowest rate of living have the shortest average life
- Are there any products that can cure diabetes?
- Wine is the least harmful alcohol beverage, and it can improve our health
- The secrets of Japanese people: Japanese art of fighting
- How much protein should an average sportsman take per day?
- Vegetarianism is not the best decision
- Shocking facts about fast food meals
Moral Issues & Obligations Ideas
- Who is responsible for the homeless dogs?
- Homeless people must be given a chance
- Chinese government must allow the families having more than one child
- The threats of overpopulation
- Mothers and fathers are equally obligated to take care of their children
- Elderly people should not be sent to hospitals or asylums against their will
- Asylums: pros & cons
- Mental disorders are as dangerous as the physical issues
- Contraceptives & birth control
- Excellent punishment of immorality
Essays about Young People
- Contemporary young people are rude
- Why is hate crime progressing in our society?
- Bullying in high schools
- People are getting swallowed with their arrogance
- The impact of violent video games on children
- The impact of violent TV shows on population
- School uniform: necessary or not?
- The most effective way to control the US population
- The growing number of teenage mothers: causes and ways to overcome
- The current generation lack rules to follow and corresponding punishment to fear
Social Media Paper Ideas
- Online bullying exists
- Social media has a significant impact on human mood & behavior
- Where do the trendy things come from?
- The role of popular music videos in the life of US citizens
- A good way to take care of the online privacy
- Social networks are more threatening than some people think
- Television & social media hypnotize people
- Is it possible to trace someone on the internet?
- How would the life without computers look today?
- The censorship of internet is important
The list contains several possible cool persuasive topics. The student can choose some of the greatest ideas to use in the argumentative writing: persuasive & argumentative essays have many things in common. This list of topics can become an interest to the variety of audiences. It is important to define your readers before writing, use the best judgment, and prepare an effective outline. If you feel like something goes wrong or the offered good persuasive speech topics are complicated, ask the professional online help to solve the problem with homework assignment at the fairest price!