A good term paper takes more than a little research. It requires planning, time management and excellent writing skills. With the right preparation, your essay will land you excellent marks. Get your hands on a term paper pdf or example of term paper for college before you have to write your own. Seeing an example is a great way to ensure you know exactly what the reviewers are looking for.
The very first thing you need to do is select a topic for your paper. Ideally, you’ll have a unique twist on your essay. Papers that stand out will be more appreciated and tend to rate higher scores.
Do Research On Your Topic
Look for research material that is a little more obscure and skip the obvious slants to work on a more interesting angle.
All your research should come from primary resources so you can create a credible bibliography at the end of the essay.
The Term Paper Outline
Before you get very far, you’ll need a term paper outline. The very basic bones can be laid out early on, then you will fill in the details with research. Without an outline, you run the risk of writing a poor term paper overall.
Look at some term paper samples to get a better idea of what your layout should look like. Arrange your research into a more formal order, fitting it into the outline that you’ve already drawn up. All term paper topics can be organized into a professional outline and this can help you keep track of all the sources you have, as well.
A good outline will enable you write better, so it’s worth the effort you have to put into it. The end result will be a cohesive paper that flows nicely from one section into the next.
Term Paper Writing
Once you have the basics down, it’s all about the writing. The term paper definition is a long essay written on a subject based on the work done during your studies. The actual length may vary, but generally, term papers are around 5,000 words long, or between 10-15 pages. Every essay has three main parts, the introduction, body and conclusion. Follow this format as you write your paper to get off to a good start.
Introduction: This should cover your thesis and the reason for the paper in the first place. Let the reader know exactly what they will learn in the paper. Take a look at a term paper template to get a better idea of how to write this section.
Body: The central part of the essay is the most important, as this is where you will create your reasons or arguments to support your thesis statement. You should have at least three arguments for the position you choose. These should be organized in order of strength, with a strong argument presented first, then each following one proving the point even further. End with your strongest argument.
Conclusion: In the final paragraph of the report, you should restate your thesis and give a brief summary of your arguments to prove your point.
When you’ve completed your term paper, leave it for a week or so. When you go back to edit, it will be fresh and easier to catch the mistakes. It doesn’t hurt to have someone else go over it, as well, to ensure there are no grammar or spelling mistakes.
Writing a term paper is much easier with a term paper outline and template. While this doesn’t eliminate the hard work required for research, it does help you organize everything quickly and easily. By following the steps given here, you should have an excellent essay by the time you’re done.
Before we delve into the structure of a term paper, let’s first define it and look into the objectives of this writing assignment. A term paper is a research paper required at the end of a school semester. It tracks and evaluates the students’ knowledge about the course. Usually a scientific report or a discussion of an assigned topic, the term paper requires a lot of research and technical writing expertise. This academic writing assignment as this reflects your knowledge of a certain course.
Table Of Contents
How To Outline a Term Paper
The outline of the paper should be made before researching and writing because this will serve as your skeleton as you continue on your work. There are a lot of paper templates to choose from, but most of the time your instructor will require a certain essay format for the whole class to follow. The main parts should include an introduction, a body, and a conclusion.
Instructors usually provide topics related to your course. However, sometimes you are free to choose your own paper topic, read articles, news, magazines, and blogs to get ideas for a term paper topic. Make sure that the topic you choose will fulfill the objectives of your course and will interest you. If a certain topic interest you, researching and writing about it will be easier and more fun.
The following should be considered when choosing a topic:
- Length: Consider the length of the required paper. Will it be a 10-page long or 5-page short? How many words are required? Considering the length will help you choose a certain topic because you will be able to decide how broad your subject will be.
- Resources: Check out your school or community library for available resources. Go through available online research resources and make sure you will have hands on books and other materials needed for reference.
- Complexity: Make sure that you will be able to explain your topic no matter how complex it may be. If you have questions, don’t be afraid to ask experts. Let your professor explain a certain area in your topic.
How To Start
Before starting, make sure to follow instructions given to you. Clarifications should be made with your instructor before doing any research or writing work. If you want quality work and a high grade, plan ahead and make time every day for writing your paper. Allot time for proofreading your work before handing it to your professor.
A good way to start is by creating a compelling and creative title. Your title page is the first impression of your work so make sure that it will capture your reader’s attention. Take note of the parts as you research and write away.
The structure should be organized and well-researched. Our academic writer reminds that technical writing skills should be crucial in organizing your ideas. The following is the term paper rubric, abstract, or layout that you should follow in presenting your argument or topic:
- Cover page: Align the text containing your name, course number, your teacher’s name and the date of the deadline.
- Abstract: Usually less than a page long, It lets the readers know where the paper is headed, the issue at hand and why the subject was interesting or important enough that you decided to write about it.
- Introduction:The introduction should begin with a statement on the topic to be discussed. Give current social events that are linked or explain the significance of the problem at hand.
- Body: The body of your text should contain the synthesis of your research. Provide information about the topic so that Don’t forget certain positions pertaining to the issue and the analysis of the research you have done.
- Results:. How has your view changed from when you began the project? Has it stayed the same, and why? Tie everything you’ve been explaining into what you started saying in your introduction.
- Discussion: Finish by stating an opening question or by prompting the reader to continue his or her own research on the subject through a discussion.
Download: Term Paper Example
How to Write a Proposal
Before researching and writing, you should know what a term paper proposal is. Basically, you should be able to defend your topic to your instructor through this proposal. This proposal must be handed in and approved before writing the actual term paper.
Include recent studies or research about your topic. Show relevance of your topic to your course effectively by submitting a short article with a clear explanation. Provide your objectives and observe organization in the flow of your ideas.
Related: How To Write a Research Proposal
If your professor didn’t provide a proposal template or sample, you could follow this format:
- Title: This is a draft title of what you want to research on. Make it clear and comprehensible.
- Objectives: This part should define your outcomes after your research. You should be able to answer questions above all, in a term paper.
- Relevance and Importance: Include recent news, social events, articles, and blogs leading to the importance of the topic. Your topic should be up to date and capture the attention of the reader.
There are many examples available online including formats and templates. You can follow these formats but make sure that you maintain your proposal’s organization and don’t forget to highlight main points and objectives.
In arranging the format, consider first the length and the citation style to be used. When you have researched on a certain topic, you are required to use a specific citation style. If you forget to reference properly, you might be accused of plagiarism. Also, a term paper is an academic writing assignment therefore, APA or MLA citation styles are commonly used.
- Use APA (American Psychological Association) term paper format for social sciences. To reference a book in an APA style term paper, the publication name, date, and location are needed. So make sure to take note of this during your research.
- The MLA (Modern Language Association) term paper format are used for liberal arts and humanities. The publication name, date, and location are needed in this format as well.
Good Term Paper Example
Essay Writing Advice From Our Professional Team
Tutor Joseph, from EssayPro
This article is very helpful. However, I would like to add my advice to the topic selection process. When you select a topic, choose one that enhances your understanding of the subject. Usually, I would advise choosing a topic that one finds interesting, but with this kind of paper, demonstrating knowledge as opposed to finding something particularly interesting to write about. To begin, get an idea to act as the foundation of the term paper. The idea should relate to the text and the subject. If this is written for a particular class, note down some of the class discussions that you had while taking the class and consider writing about those. That will get you brownie points with the professor. That being said, avoid general topics. Narrow it down according to the article’s directions. Before finally choosing the topic, clarify it with your professor if possible. Go during office hours and ask if they have any advice for in what direction you can take the term paper.
Get Help from Experts
Researching and writing really take a lot of time and effort. Also, school assignments and examinations usually pile up at the end of the semester. If you need custom writing help, don’t hesitate to use EssayPro. This is your number one go-to site for term paper writing service. Experienced writers from all around the world will attend to your writing needs immediately. These writers can proofread and improve your academic paper. They can also help you choose a topic and edit your referencing into an APA or MLA format. What are you waiting for? Head on over to EssayPro!
Try our essay service