a friend in need is a friend indeed
- when used as ‘a friend in need is a friend indeed’ it means that a person who helps at the time of a requirement is a true friend.
- when used as ‘a friend in need is a friend indeed?’ means that when someone needs your help with something then they tend to become friendly with you. This meaning is not used often anymore but remains to be a part of the phrase nevertheless.
- a third variation, although even less popular is ‘a friend in need is a friend in deed’ which means that someone would be willing to take action (deed) for a friend’s requirement.
- He stayed with me throughout the time I was in the hospital, a friend in need is a friend indeed!
- I always try to work out a way for my friends’ problems. A friend in need is a friend in deed.
The phrase, because of its debatable meaning is used as reference to context. It is amongst the oldest known phrases with the first usage in Latin by Quintus Ennius in the 3rd century BC. When translated it means that a sure friend is identified or recognized when there is a difficulty. It has been in existence since the 11th Century by the Oxford Dictionary.
a little of what you fancy does you good ❯❮ a drowning man will clutch at a straw
We have all heard the old saying “a friend is need is a friend indeed“. We need true friends in our life. A real or true friend is always willing to help us when we need them. At the same time, it is our responsibility to remain helpful towards our friends.
This proverb means that ‘a friend who helps his friend in need is a real friend’. the proverb could be taken to mean that ‘friends rely on each other’.
If someone is our friend, we should be glad to help them when they need us. And we can assume that this sentiment is reciprocal. That is what true friendship is about.
Need of a true friend: We cannot live alone in society. We need friends for company and conference. A man can receive from his friends what he cannot get from his own people and his family members. A true friend is considered the most valuable asset that a person can possess.
In good times, everybody behaves as if they are our friend. The right occasion to test the friendship of a person is at the time of need. A true friend realizes your need and comes forward to help you voluntarily without any hope of getting back anything in return from you. Such friends are of course very rare, but they are there.
Matter of Pride:Friendship with such person in really a matter of pride. There are many instances of such friendship in stories, legends and history. These people have unhesitatingly sacrificed their lives for the sake of friendship.
Therefore, we should choose good friends who are really willing to help us. We must avoid those people who come forward with selfish motives because they may put us into trouble at any time.
The choice of a true friend: Good friends are rare in the world.A man may have many friends, but it is difficult to get a true friend. There are friends who are often selfish with you. There are friends who are often indifferent to your suffering in life.
But true friend is not like that. Selfless service is the essence of true friendship. A true friend proves him-selves by his good deeds. A true friend does not have any selfish motive. He is prepared to do anything for the sake of friendship. He can even sacrifice his life to save the life of his friend. Such a friend is called a true friend.
Also read:Short essay on friendship
The abuse of friendship: There are some selfish people who always try to abuse friendship with a selfish motive. Then try to exploit their friendship and gain something to serve their selfish interest. They establish friendship with this motive and leave you when their goal is achieved. They are false friends. We should always be aware of such friends and try to avoid them as far as practicable.
Adversity is the test of a true friend. He who stands by us in our good and bad times is a true friend indeed. We should always be on search for good friends. A good friend always remains accessible even during adverse times. With the help of friends, a person can overcome the troubles of difficult times. Life becomes easier for people who are blessed with true friends.
What we learn from this proverb?
- Reliance: knowing we can rely on our friends at the times of need is a great feeling.
- Kindness: kindness between friends is a virtue.
- True friendship: true friendship is one of the best things in life.
- Generosity: we should be helpful and generous to our friends.
- Gratitude: we should be grateful to our friends.
- Good times: we should also be there to spend good times with our friends.
- Support: as well as accepting their help, we should support them and have fun with them.
Conclusion: Friendship is better than fame in life. To be a real friend or to get a real friend in life is considered better and nobler than fame. Hence, it is true that “a friend in need is a friend indeed”.
Category: Essays, Paragraphs and Articles